Friday, January 4, 2008

School!

Yesterday was a big day...... Kyah had her 1st day of school! I had planned on home schooling her for at least the rest of the school year, but she definitely had a different idea:) I guess I can understand because all of our other children had entered the school system this year (it has been such a change from home schooling, but good overall) Also she is a very social and outgoing child and really wanted to "go" to school. Anyway, after talking with all of the professionals they put her in 5th grade! This freaked us out a little because that will mean Jr High next year!!! To our surprise she came home very happy and was even more excited to go back today. I am so amazed at how resilient she is, and so strong.
On another note, I have been praying about my posts. I think it is wonderful to be positive, but I also want to be honest to those who choose to adopt and older child. 90% of our 3weeks together have been a joyous time, but with that said, it is not easy! I won't go into private details, but I think it is important to remember that these children, no matter how good the situation, have been "given up" or "left behind" by parents or loved ones. I cannot even imagine the pain that would cause when you are old enough to fully realize that! I was adopted at birth and even then had issues. I guess in all my rambling I am trying to say, that there will be issues and it is "normal". I was feeling a little alone when things came up and thank you to all of you experienced mom's who have gone before us in this journey. Like I said, even with raising 5 kids this is a whole new ball game and at times I feel like a new mom again:) On these days I take comfort in Gods promises and I pray for patience!
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
James 1:2-4

3 comments:

Michael and Michelle said...

Thank you for being honest! Is Kyah missing Ethiopia much? What did she think of snow?? I love reading your blog!!!!
Michelle

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Hi Julia, just saying hi and to tell you that I haven't cut Aleena's hair yet. I really don't ever plan to and see how long it gets. I hope school goes well.
smiles,
jen

Murphy Momma said...

Hey Julia, I was surprised to see your blog about school but glad to hear it is working out well. I'm also enjoying keeping up with Kyah's adjustment as I can imagine it is a very hard age for a girl to go through such changes in her life. One thing I do know is that God picked you out for this sweet girl because you were the best plan for her and He will help you through those tough days. I can speak that it does get easier but the first couple months can be draining. Sharon