Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Dec. 17th, 2007 (Monday)


Looking back on my life I feel that I have had some pretty emotional days, this day just might top all the rest. (or at least I felt that way on this day)

Thanks to the un-friendly neighborhood rooster who's clock is severely off, I was wide awake at 3:15am. I of course had to see if Stacy heard him, so then both of us were bright eyed and bushy tailed in the wee hours of the morning:) We quickly remembered that it was after 2:00am we dozed off. It is amazing though how you can function on adrenaline!!! Next the beautiful chants from the Muslim prayer call began. By the end of our trip I seemed to have incorporated these noises into my daily schedule as normal, weird! Anyway, with all of this ruckus I decided I needed to shower and have my coffee, just like a true American.

I noticed the hot water heater hanging on the wall by my head, so hey I should have hot water right!?! Think again..... Interesting shower, but as I said before, you get used to these things.

In the hotel lobby there is a little dining area and sitting there were a few of our new friends also adopting. They too waiting for the morning pick me up of coffee and tea. (I still hadn't got the whole "Ethiopia time down") So after politely asking for coffee and a 20 min. wait, my pot arrived. The wait I then realized was because each and every cup is brewed individually as espresso, and many pots needed to be filed. WOW, what strong,strong and did I say strong brew!!! We love strong coffee, but sadly I have to admit we asked for a pot of water to weaken it a bit, our server got a chuckle from this, Yum..... just simply delicious:) And the day begins!

Around 9:30 Almaz came to the hotel to pick up 3 of the families to meet their children, we were one of these families to go first. Sheer terror, excitement,giddiness,wonder, and again more fear were some of the emotions running through my head. I had waited for this day for so many months and I had memorized her little face, but AHHHHH this was really happening and I couldn't really wrap my brain around it. It was a good thing my sweet husband has such a level head and a steady arm for me to cling to or I'm not sure I would have made the two block walk to Hannah's Hope; the home to our little girl for the last 9 months. (I'm out of room, so I guess I will write more later, see ya soon!)

4 comments:

The Redman's said...

Oh my... I'm dying to hear about the first meeting with Hirut!! Keep writing... I love all the details! :) (we always ordered a pot of coffee and a pot of steamed milk-- made our own lattes. The coffee is STRONG!!)

-Suzi

Teabo Chica said...

Oh you the lucky ones....to have that girl such a joy your house is a quiver full~! Congrats I loved meeting that darling daugter of yours!

Teabo Chica said...

Oh you the lucky ones....to have that girl such a joy your house is a quiver full~! Congrats I loved meeting that darling daugter of yours!

A Team said...

WOW... Loved reading this.... I am behind on my reading so I just snuggled up on the couch with YOUR BLOG :-)

Thanks for being such a help to me lately... I appreciate you taking my calls and sending me pictures.

I can't wait to hear that crazy rooster crow :-) CAUSE IT MEANS I'LL BE THAT CLOSE TO ABEL