Saturday, February 9, 2008

Can you say "Americanized"!!!!!




Wow, in 7 weeks how things change!
Everyday there seems to be new growth and new challenges! As I had posted before, Kyah started school pretty much right after we returned home, with our reluctance I might add..... and it has been wonderful! Last weekend we let her go to one of her school friends birthday party and to a movie. The movie was a 3D Hannah Montana concert and she came home singing at the top of her lungs, too funny. The funniest part is that she sings with an American accent!!!!! I am so amazed at her English, the school has an Ethiopian tutor that comes 5 days a week to class with her to help her with her English and also so she can keep speaking Amharic. I do have to admit I am a little sad at how quickly she is becoming Americanized. I guess I was nieve thinking it would take a little longer, but she is just a typical 11 year old girl, she even has a crush on a little boy in her class:)
All in all things have been coming right along with bonding... (everyone keeps asking) From the begining she has been very close with her daddy. Every moment she could spend with him she did and he is still her favorite person. It took a little longer for us. I'm not sure if it was a guilt she felt for her mother, or just a personality conflict, but now we are on our way! She is a very compassionate, loving and very strong willed young lady who knows exactly what she wants! We are enjoying this time of amazing growth and learning, and I hope we can hold onto these memories to laugh about later:)

5 comments:

The Gresham Clan said...

It sounds like things are going so great. She is such a beautiful girl (and she sounds pretty amazing as well). I love keeping up with how things are going! Thank you for sharing :).
Kristin

Michael and Michelle said...

Thanks for the update. How was your first post adoption visit withe the SW??
Your girls are very cute!
I am so glad that things are going good!
Michelle

Murphy Momma said...

I've been dying to hear how things have been going -yes I'm keeping up on you guys! Praising God for the good progress and for more attachment. It's amazing how much difference a month or two can make.
Sharon

Coming to Amharica said...

I've been lurking around your blog for the last few weeks. I've really enjoyed it! We are another AGCI family and just got our referral. I have a question for you....will you email me?
cdshaffer@insightbb.com

THANKS!
Dee Dee

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Glad to read an update and that things are going well. Kyah looks beautiful and so healthy. I too was amazed at how quickly Aleena picked up English. I've been told she even says "Mom" with a Michigan accent now!
Smiles and Joy!
jen in MI