Thursday, February 21, 2008

Something new everyday!

(Sorry about the spelling again, I'm not sure what is going on!)

For about the last two weeks Kyah has really been opening up and telling us more and more about her life in Ethiopia. Sometimes it is sad and hard for us to hear, and sometimes her stories are hystericaly funny! Last night she was sharing with us about the day before she was taken to the orphanage and as she was telling us the story she said she asked her grandmother on that day, "How old am me?" (I love the way she talks:) ) She said her grandmother said 11, but you must say 6. (This most of you already new), but then my husband and I looked at each other.....we both then realized that that was December 2006! That means that our little girl is 12!!! This made more sence because the dentist had said if she was 11 that she was very far along in dental maturity as she has lost all of her teeth and already has her 12 year molers. Because she has no understanding of the months we pulled out the calander and showed her. She just laughed and laughed and went upstairs and told each of the kids, "I 12"! In a weird way it is kinda of sad for us because we went to pick up our little 6 year old in December and she has already aged 6 years!:) I am happy that we are finally getting this all figured out, especially for her sake, I would want to know how old I truely was if I was in her shoes. Yesterday she also rode a bike for the first time! It is amazing all of the firsts this girl is having. And for any of you who have adopted older children you know that it is much harder to teach an older child to swim and ride a bike than a toddler! I think it is a fear thing and that we get smarter with age ( and further from the ground)!!!! I'm sure that we will have many more surprises around the corner:)


2 comments:

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

I'm lovin all the new photos and thank you for sharing some personal stuff with us too. I remember someone sharing that their daughter too was much older than she was told to say. They had a party for her! I thought that was great. It doesn't sound like Kyah was worried about telling her true age. Perhaps you can really make her thirteen birthday something really special! I bet so many kiddos are put in this position too.
So very glad she is opening up! What a blessing.
smiles,
jen

Michael and Michelle said...

By the way...I want to meet Martha too!!! How fun was that.
So when you got your referral you thought she was 6, but now you know that she's 12....wow!
I love your updates!
Michelle